Reassurance offered after Poole sexual assaults
Police in Poole are offering reassurance to members of the public following reports of sexual assaults in the town – with detectives renewing their appeal for witnesses and anyone with information to come forward.
Dorset Police has received three reports of sexual assaults in the Talbot Woods, Rossmore and Alderney areas since mid-September 2010.
Inspector Adrian King, section commander for North Poole, said: “While it is important to stress that there is currently no clear indication that these offences are linked in any way, I would like to reassure our communities that we are doing all that we can to bring those responsible to justice.
“Dorset Police treats all reports of sexual assault with the utmost of concern and a dedicated team of specially trained officers – within the Force’s major crime team and public protection unit – are investigating all of the offences that have been reported.”
Safer Neighbourhood Teams have been issuing advice to members of the public and additional patrols have been active in the communities where the attacks have been reported.
Inspector King continued: “It is essential that people feel safe and secure within their neighbourhoods and I would urge anyone who feels in need of information or advice to speak with a member of the local SNT or to contact Dorset Police on 01202 222 222.
“I would advise young people in the area to be conscious of their own personal safety, particularly in secluded areas.”
Anyone with information about the three attacks is urged to contact police as soon as possible.
On 20 September 2010, police received a report that a 15-year-old girl had been sexually assaulted in Talbot Woods at around 3pm on Wednesday, 15 September 2010.
Another girl, aged 15, was sexually assaulted along Northmere Drive in Rossmore, at around 8pm on Sunday, 26 September 2010.
The man police are looking for in connection with this assault is described as in his late 40s or early 50s, six feet tall, of skinny build with medium length dark greying hair and a crooked nose. He was reported to be wearing black shoes, black trousers and a short black jacket, possibly quilted or fleecy, with a light-coloured hooded top underneath.
Finally, a third 15-year-old girl was sexually assaulted on the Bourne Valley Reserve, near Monkton Crescent in Rossmore at around 5.30pm on Friday, 29 October 2010.
The man responsible for this assault is white, around five feet nine inches tall and of a large build. At the time of the incident, he was wearing a black zip-up hooded top, black tracksuit bottoms and he had a dark-coloured scarf covering his face.
Detective Inspector Stewart Balmer, who is leading the specialist team, said: “Anyone with any information about any of these sexual assaults is urged to contact Dorset Police as soon as possible.
“Any information, no matter how insignificant you might consider it to be, could help us with our investigations.
“I would urge our local communities to report any suspicious activity to us at the earliest opportunity.
“As always, we are keeping an open mind and we will pursue all active lines of enquiry.”
Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police in confidence on 01202 222 222 or the free and anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111 where mobile phone tariffs may apply.