Criminal Behaviour Order issued to Weymouth man

A Weymouth man has been handed a 10-year Criminal Behaviour Order in Dorset.

John Conway, 56, of Gloucester Street, was issued the order by Dorchester Crown Court on Thursday 5 March 2015 after being found guilty of assault on 22 December 2014.

Dorset Police worked in conjunction with the Community Safety Team at Weymouth & Portland Borough Council to bring the application to the court.

The order states that John Conway must not:

  • Act or incite others to behave in an anti-social manner, that is to say a manner that causes harassment, alarm or distress to any person in Dorset
  • Use or incite others to use threatening, intimidating, insulting or abusive words or behaviour in any place to which the public has access in Dorset
  • Be drunk in any public place in Dorset

Police Constable Matt Lydford, of Weymouth police, said: “John Conway has caused distress to neighbours and the general public for many years and it is positive news the court has issued this order.

"This order goes to highlight this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated by police, the courts or local authorities and we will continue to work closely with the local community to address any concerns they may have with anti-social behaviour.”

Geoff Gibbs, Community Safety Manager at Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, said: “This person came to our notice in June 2014 and since then the local police and council Community Safety Team have worked together to address his persistent anti-social behaviour.

“The problems did not go away and it was decided that an application for a Criminal Behaviour Order would be made to the courts.

“The application was successful and the order was granted for a full 10 years from 5 March 2015 with the intention of preventing further anti-social behaviour occurring anywhere in Dorset. This is a great example of effective partnership working and shows what can be done when we work together.”

Issued: 31 March 2015

John Conway
Provide feedback on this page