Bournemouth man is convicted of murder

A Bournemouth man has been convicted of murdering 16-year-old Linda Lietaviete in the town centre last year.

Today, Friday 31 October 2014, 26-year-old Alvin Santos was found guilty of murder by a jury at Winchester Crown Court following a full trial.

He had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter which was rejected by the Crown Prosecution Service.

The court heard that Santos killed Miss Lietaviete on Horseshoe Common in Bournemouth town centre on the evening of Thursday 12 December 2013 – after an evening out together.

Miss Lietaviete was stabbed seven times in her upper body, two of which pierced her heart. Following the attack, Santos returned home at about midnight and told his sister that he had stabbed someone.

Giving evidence in court, Santos’ sister revealed that she called 999 and alerted the emergency services to search the area.

Miss Lietaviete’s body was found covered in leaves. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The jury took two-and-half hours to reach a unanimous verdict of guilty. He will be sentenced on Monday 3 November 2014 at the same court.

Detective Inspector Marcus Hester, of Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “This was a violent and sustained attack on a young girl who was supposedly a friend. Linda was highly regarded by her family and college and had many friends. She was a hard-working and loved girl whose life was cut tragically short by the actions of an older man.

“My thoughts go out to her mother and family.”

Issued: 31 October 2014

Provide feedback on this page