Reasons for using BWV
The Dorset and Devon & Cornwall Police are clear in their ambition to become a world leading digital police force to enable front line police officers to be more effective as well as strengthening the police/public partnership.
Question: Will the camera always be on?
Answer: No - Officers will switch the camera on to capture a specific incident. The camera will not be used to film people indiscriminately. It is a tool available to the officer to record evidence in relation to allegations or investigations.
Officers will use video to record these incidents (and others where necessary for policing purposes)
- Stop and search or stop and account
- Stopping a motor vehicle
- Attending premises to make an arrest
- Searching premises/land/vehicles
- And also in other critical incidents where:
- Someone uses force against a another person or property
- Giving an order to an individual or group under any statutory power
- Where domestic abuse or modern slavery may be suspected.