Firearms / Licencing / Gun crime
Could you please disclose how many times a Taser has been charged by an officer on your force during the last three years, with an annual breakdown for each year.
For each incident, could you please disclose:
- Where the Taser was discharged (city, town etc.)
- The reason given by the force for the authorisation of the Taser use (e.g. threatening behaviour, non-compliance etc.)
- If a crime had been reported before the police arrived, what that alleged crime was.
- The age and gender of the person tasered. If an animal, what the animal was.
- If a police investigation was carried out in light of the Taser being used and if so, what that outcome was.
- If the person tasered was subsequently charged. If not, what action was taken (NFA, caution etc.)
Could you then please reveal:
- How many officers are currently authorised to use Taser. Could you then please disclose how many were authorised on this same date (January 3) 2013.
- How many complaints has your force had regarding Taser usage, and how many of these were upheld.
- How many financial claims have been made against the force over Taser usage, and how much has your force paid out in compensation over these or other complaints.
1 a) On how many occasions during the calendar year 2014 was a Taser deployed against a person aged 16 and under. Please provide a breakdown of both the ages of the individuals as well as the method of Taser deployment (for example, but not limited to, drive-stun, firings, drawn, red-dotted etc.)
This is not exhaustive (e.g. if there was a 6-year-old involved in an incident with a Taser please include that information, or if there is another method of deployment please include that information in the table.)
b) Please also provide a detailed summary for each incident where the Taser was FIRED or used to STUN as recorded in your log or the Taser deployment form, including where recorded (but not limited to) the reason for Taser firing or stunning, the area of the body hit, the number of times the individual was hit, and any adverse health effects from the Taser deployment. I do not require summaries for other types of deployment (eg. drawn, red dot)
How many animals were tasered by police in:
- 2014-5 so far
NB: If you do not collate statistics by financial year, please just give them by calendar year. If you do not have data for 2014-5, please ignore that. If possible, could you specify what types of animals (including breeds i.e. of dogs) were tasered?
1 a) Between 8 April 2014 and 8 April 2015, the total number of incidents of Taser firing or stunning (of any type, eg. drive-stun, angle-stun) against a mentally ill person (eg. either known/suspected to have mental health issues, or detained under any section of the Mental Health Act, eg. 135 or 136.)
1 b) Please provide a breakdown of each incident providing the following: - age and sex of the person fired or stunned with Taser, - nature of Taser deployment (eg. firing, drive-stun, angle-stun etc.) - location of firing or stunning (please state if private residence, public place, general hospital, mental health ward, other medical clinic, during police transportation to police station, during police transportation to hospital, during police transportation to mental Health ward, inside police station [not within cell], or, inside police cell)
- In the financial year 2014-5 the total number of incidents of taser firing or stunning (of any type, e.g. drivestun, anglestun) against a mentally ill person (e.g. either known/suspected to have mental health issues, or detained under any section of the Mental Health Act, e.g. 135 or 136.)
- If possible, please provide some information on each incident. I.e. the age and sex of the person stunned, the circumstances which gave rise to the stunning and the location of the stunning.
Under the Freedom of Information Act, please can you provide data on the number of times Tasers have been used against children aged under 18 in each of the local authorities covered by the police force in each of the past two years (2013 and 2014). Please provide the data broken down by categories of use: Drawn, Aimed, Arced, Red Dotted, Drive Stun, Angled Drive Stun and Fired.
Please could you also provide information on the youngest person a Taser was used against in either of these two years (age, category of use).
How many times were Tasers used in 2012 and 2013? Can I have separate figures for each year?
Can I also see how many times Tasers were used on people under the age of 18?
Also, how many times were Tasers used on animals and what animals were they?
Could you give me a breakdown of the areas that they were used in as well?
For each of the questions below, please give a figure for each of for the past 5 years (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013). Calendar years are preferred, however if you hold the information in financial years, and this is easier then I'm happy to have that instead. Please make the most recent figure as up to date as possible.
Please give the total number of Taser deployments each year, and the number that fall into each of these categories: Drawn, Aimed, Arced, Red Dotted, Drive Stun, Angled Drive Stun and Fired.
How many children, aged under 16, have had a Taser deployed against them each year? Please only include firings and use in drive-stun mode, not incidents where the Taser was only drawn or aimed. Please break down the ages of the children the device was deployed against
How many times each year was a Taser deployed against an animal? Please specify which animals
How many officers within the force are trained to use Tasers? Please give a figure for each of the above years
How many officers within the force are regularly deployed with Tasers? Please give a figure for each of the above years
- Please can you provide data on the number of times Tasers have been used against children aged under 18 in each of the local authorities covered by the police force in each of the past six years (2008 to 2013).
- Please provide the data broken down by categories of use: Drawn, Aimed, Arced, Red Dotted, Drive Stun, Angled Drive Stun and Fired.
- Please could you also provide information on the youngest person a Taser was used against (age, category of use).
How many times have Tasers been used in your force on people under the age of 16 in 2013?"
Please provide a breakdown of the age groups, categorising the age of each individual upon whom a Taser was used.
- For January 1, 2014, until May 14, 2014, a copy of all Taser Deployment Forms filled in by officers after a Taser deployment, and attached FME reports.
- The same for the full calendar year 2013.
Do Tasers hurt:
- A bit
- A lot
- A very lot
- So much you can't describe it. To anyone.
- How many times were Tasers deployed on under-18s in 2008, 2013 and 2014?
- What proportion of total Taser deployment was on under-18s in 2008, 2013 and 2014?
- How many of those under-18s on whom Tasers were deployed in 2008, 2013 and 2014 were 16 and 17?
- In relation to the use of Tasers deployed on under-18s in 2008, 2013 and 2014 - in what number and/or proportion was the Taser; Drawn, Aimed, Red Dot, Arced, Fired, Drive stun?