Facebook Pixel

What happens when you report a crime?

The most important thing you can do is to report a crime...

It is important to us that our communities experience a totally victim focused service, prioritising our services on people at risk or suffering threat and harm.

Preventing people becoming victims, helping and assisting if they do, and working to bring offenders to justice is the bedrock on which policing is built. Dorset Police puts victims first and understands that your satisfaction will be dependent on the delivery of high quality services.

When reporting a crime to Dorset Police you can be assured that you will be listened to, understood, informed and together with our partner organisations, protected and safe.

Tell me more

Online: Report to us or make an enquiry online via our online reporting form available here or by emailing 101@dorset.pnn.police.uk 

Call 101: To report  a crime or incident that is not an emergency or to make a general enquiry if you do not have a contact person or extension number call 101.

Call 999 in an emergency: Please only call 999 when a crime is happening or anyone is in immediate danger.

Upon reporting a crime to Dorset Police a member of staff will be assigned to oversee the investigation. This person will be your point of contact.

What happens next?

Information and evidence is gathered and entered onto a crime report and you will be provided with a unique reference number. This information is analysed and any lines of enquiry are investigated in an effort to bring those responsible to justice.

If there are any lines of enquiry you will be regularly updated. Please remember with any investigation it takes time to gather information.

Updates in relation to most cases will be provided by Dorset Victim’s Bureau. This is a dedicated team actively working to keep you informed about progress in the investigation of your crime. In some cases it may be more appropriate for the Officer in the Case (OIC) to update you. This will be explained to you at the time of reporting your crime.

Follow this link for more information on the Dorset Victims Bureau

How do I contact Dorset Victims Bureau?

If you would like to contact the Victims Bureau Team please call 01202 222799. If a member of the team is not available, or if you are calling after 5pm, please leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

You can also make contact via email at VictimsBureau@dorset.pnn.police.uk or via our online enquiry form by following this link.

If you need to speak to the officer investigating your case regarding any additional information you may have, please make contact online here or by calling 101 and quote your crime reference number.

If you need any support or wish to speak to someone about your experience, there is a list of useful contacts here.

Victim Support

Victim Support is the independent national charity that helps victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected across England and Wales. 

Their services are free and available to everyone, whether or not the crime has been reported and regardless of when it happened. 

Victim Support is not part of the police, the courts or any other criminal justice agency.

Their trained volunteers offer:

  • Someone to talk to in confidence 
  • Information on police and court procedures 
  • Help in dealing with other organisations 
  • Information about compensation and insurance 
  • Information on other sources of help 
  • Help and support at court

You can contact Victim Support through the local Victim Care Unit or National Victim Supportline: 08 08 1689 111. You can find more information about Victim Support on their website.

We would really welcome your feedback to help us improve our service.

Do you have any suggestions that will help us improve the service we provide to victims of crime?

Want to tell us about your experiences, good or not so good? Help us improve the way in which we deliver services, let us know, we are listening.

Please follow this link to our online feedback form