Facebook Pixel

Report lost property

The police do not deal with lost property or provide a lost property reference number unless it is a “hazardous item”, for example; firearms, shotguns, ammunition, explosives, poisons or chemicals – in this instance please call 101 for advice on explosive or hazardous materials. Chemical disposal can be arranged with local authority and refuse centres. Call 999 if it is posing an immediate risk. 

If the item was lost on private property (including shops, restaurants or pubs) or on public transport (including taxis, trains or coaches), it is recommended that you contact the establishment, local authority or transport provider where the item was lost.

Please note: Non-British passport losses must be reported in person to a counter services officer at a police station enquiry office. These must not be reported to 'Report My Loss'.  


How to report lost property

Please use the national reportMyloss service to report lost property and get a reference number. Click the button below: 

reportMyloss allows those who have lost an item to print a numbered ownership certificate, confirming the details of the loss. There is a fee for this service. At this time, in instances where an insurance company insist on a reference number, Dorset Police support payment if proven the loss has occurred in Dorset. This fee will be payable by the reporting customer with effect from April 2022, and not subsidised by Dorset Police.

In addition to reportMyloss, please email counterservices@dorset.pnn.police.uk to enquire about items that have potentially been handed to the police. No other enquiries should be sent to this address.

Please note: Non-British passport losses must not be reported to 'Report My Loss'. These must be reported in person to a counter services officer at a police station enquiry office.



You can also report lost property online at www.immobilise.com, but you will not receive a lost property reference number. The lack of reference number should not invalidate any insurance claim. You can register owned items here also.

Bike Register

Bike Register is the national cycle database. Register ownership or report the loss of a bicycle at www.bikeregister.com 

Found property?

Click here for information on what to do if you have found someone else's property. 

Stolen property

If you are certain your property has been stolen, you can report it by filling in the report a crime or incident forms