9.56 PM Sunday 29 May 2016

Top 10 Enquiries to Dorset Police

Dorset Police deals with hundreds of calls in each day ranging from urgent 999 calls to general enquiries. Here we have listed our current top enquiries into Dorset Police  and information which may assist in resolving your enquiry -  These will change depending on current issues. if you would like to be notified when these change please subscribe to our email update system via the link below:

Subscribe | View Subscriptions


Click on the heading below to view the information:

Lost / Stray Dogs >

Drink and Drug Driving>

Missing Person >

When are your police stations open? >

Noise Nuisance >

Property >

Anti Social Behaviour >

Custody Enquiries >

Vehicles >

Road Traffic Collisions >

Alarms >

Lost / Stray Dogs

Lost or stray dog posterAs of 31 October 2010, Dorset Police will no longer accept stray dogs. This reflects a change in the law, and from this date responsibility for stray dogs passes to Local Authorities. If you find a stray dog you are advised to contact your Local Authority Dog Warden in the first instance. Contact numbers are provided below. The Dog Warden Service is also useful if you are searching for a lost dog.

Local Authority websites with information on dog wardens:

Bournemouth Borough Council (Tel : 01202 451306) >

Borough of Poole (Tel : 01202 261700) >

Dorset County Council (See website for your local warden service) >


ArrowDownload the "I'm Lost" lost / stray dog poster (236kb PDF) >


Drink and Drug Driving:

If you suspect a vehicle is being driven by someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs contact Dorset Police immediately by dialling 999 – so that officers can intercept the vehicle.

You can also call Dorset Police’s non-emergency number on 101 or the free and anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 11.


Click here to return to the top of the page

When reporting a missing person it is useful if you consider the following points and have any relevant information ready before speaking to the police:

  • A description of the person and what clothes they are wearing.
  • Details of their vehicle, registration number, colour etc.
  • Date and time of when they were last seen or spoken to.
  • Is the person on any medication?
  • Does the person have any mental health issues?
  • The person’s mobile phone number?
  • Details of any family/friends or location that the person may be visiting.


When are your police stations open ?

Officers and Staff operate from our stations 24 hours a day (or, are on duty in the area 24 hours a day).

Our planned opening hours for our Station Desk Offices are listed against each station via the link below.  If you visit the station outside these hours and the Station Desk Office is unmanned this normally will be because our officers and operational staff are out on patrol or are engaged in other operational duties.  Consequently, whenever the Station Desk Office is not open there is a telephone help point outside the station that will enable you to contact us.  In an emergency always dial ‘999’.

To find you nearest police station please follow this link >


Click here to return to the top of the page


The police do not have any powers to prosecute for noise nuisance.

You should contact your Local Authority Environmental Health Departments, they can have extended cover, but it may be restricted to certain days of the week (e.g. Friday, Saturday), and can be called at any time numbers are available in your telephone directory or authority web sites, as listed below . Most common reports of Noise Nuisance are

Noisy Neighbours - For long-term problems, call your local Environmental Health department, they may ask you to keep a diary of the noise nuisance.  The whole process can take some time to complete, so you may have to be patient.

Loud Parties - The police may attend at incidents such as this and can ask the organisers to turn the music down. However, the police have no powers of prosecution for noise offences and so it may still be necessary to contact your local Environmental Health Department. You must be aware however that loud music, on a Saturday night, for example, is going to be a fairly low priority for the police and they may not be able to attend for some time. Also if the noise is in the afternoon it is unlikely that police will visit. It would be mainly during what would be classed as anti-social hours. However should you wish to contact police for further information or clarification, follow this link for our contact details >

For further information regarding other forms of Noise Nuisance follow our link to http://www.askthepolice.co.uk/ where fuller explanations are available.

Borough of Bournemouth website >

Borough of Poole website >

Dorset For you website >



Click here to return to the top of the page

Lost Property

Report My Loss is a website allowing the public to report lost property quickly and easily without the need to telephone or visit a Police station.

The information provided in any loss report is viewable by Police forces nationally.

You can submit your report via: http://www.reportmyloss.com/ >


When reporting any found or lost property it is most useful if you have the following information:

  • Where it was lost/found.
  • When it was lost/found.
  • Description of property and any identifying marks, numbers etc.


Most common reports relating to Property are:

Lost Mobile Phone

If you have lost your mobile phone, you will need The IMEI/serial number on your phone, as this is unique to your mobile phone. (To find out what your IMEI number is type *#06# into your phone.)

Below are contact details for the main mobile phone network providers:

  • 3 - 08707 330 333
  • O2  - Contract 08702 410 202/ Other 08705 678 678
  • Orange – Contract 07973 100 150/ Other07973 100 450
  • T Mobile - 0845 412 5000
  • Virgin - 0845 6000 789
  • Vodafone – Contract - 08700 700 191 / Other - 08700 77 66 55




Click here to return to the top of the page

When reporting any anti social behaviour to the Police it is very useful for us to know any of the following:

  • What sort of behaviour is/has taken place?
  • Where is/was it taking place?
  • How many people are/were involved?
  • Do you have any descriptions of the people involved?


If this is a one off incident then you should contact the police who, if possible, will try and attend and disperse the persons involved. The police do now have powers to confiscate alcohol from youths in a public place including open and sealed containers (subject to certain conditions).

If this is a persistent problem then it could be classed as anti social behaviour and you should contact your local neighbourhood police officer(s) who will over a period of time collate the necessary evidence against the persons involved with a view for eventually obtaining anti social behaviour orders (ASBOs ).  Unfortunately this will not happen over night, as the police and local council have to ensure that they have all the necessary evidence.

However, as a member of the public you could greatly assist the police by keeping your own diary of the behaviour.  Ensuring that you record as much details as possible, including times, dates, types of behaviour, names and/or descriptions.



The police are not allowed to inform anyone of the fact that a person has been detained without their express permission (unless the person in custody is a juvenile).

It is very unlikely that the custody staff will give you any information about any person detained in the cells. The detained person does have the right to a phone call and the right to have someone told of his or her detention (except in specific circumstances).

Click here to return to the top of the page

Please note that all vehicles that are used on the public highways must hold a valid tax disc, MOT certificate, and insurance.

For any further information or to report a vehicle that does not have a valid tax disc please call the DVLA on 0870 240 0010 or you can report a vehicle that does not have a valid tax disc online at the directgov.uk website.


Road Traffic Collisions

If you are involved in a road traffic collision where no one has been injured, the road has not been blocked and insurance details have been exchanged then the police do not need to be informed. Road traffic law has been complied with and the police will not take a report.

If, however, there are injured parties or the road is blocked by the incident please contact the police urgently and where possible with the following information:

  • What is the location of this incident?
  • How many vehicles are involved?
  • How many people are injured?
  • Has an ambulance been called?

Click here to return to the top of the page


The Police will attend alarms installed in line with the ACPO Alarms Policy. The majority of domestic alarms do not comply with that policy by virtue of the fact they are audible only systems.

However, should there be an activation and there is evidence of criminal activity dial 999.
It is not advisable to put yourself in any danger by making the checks yourself.

If it appears to be a false activation, still contact the police but on their non-emergency number as they may have the owners contact details on their database. If it is a persistent problem see the question in related information about noisy neighbours.


If you have a question that is not answered here please follow our link to http://www.askthepolice.co.uk/ where more questions with answers are available.

Click here to return to the top of the page