Welcome to the Dorset Police Traffic Department. Here you will
find information about the unit/s, safety information in relation
to roads and driving, and various links to useful sites.
Please use the links on the right to find out more
Click here to view video footage of a
follow filmed by the Dorset Police helicopter, Oscar 99, in North
"To secure an environment where the individual can use the roads
in Dorset with confidence, free from death, injury or fear of
The section will take a lead in road safety and road crime in
accordance with the strategy.
Road Safety Management
The force will employ the principles of the National Road
Policing Strategy and contribute to casualty reduction through
Enforcement, Education and Engineering.
- Reduce collisions.
- Investigate road death, serious injury and complex
Governmental targets for 2010:
- 40% reduction in the number of people killed or seriously
injured in road collisions.
- 50% reduction in the number of children killed or seriously
injured in road collisions (0-15 years).
- 10% reduction in the slight injury casualty rate.
- Specifically, by targetting the activities of the Road Policing
Unit and its officers on:
- Hotspot and core offences such as speed and drink driving, and
campaign approach to other offences.
- Casualty hotspots – arterial routes – disqualified
- Specialist enforcement of large goods vehicles and passenger
carrying vehicles by the commercial vehicle defect rectification
scheme and Hazchem.
- Professional investigation of serious and complex
- Examination of vehicles involved in collisions to establish
In addition to enforcement, target driving offenders by
encouraging change in driver behaviour.
Furthermore, targeting vulnerable groups such as new drivers,
young road users, motorcyclists, cyclists, elderly persons and
pedestrians through a partnership approach involving motor
organisations, Road Safety Officers, Dorset Safety Camera
Partnership, motor insurers, cycling groups and "Streetwise".
An improved route to the engineering aspect, ensuring the best
use of camera technology by intelligence and analysis targeting of
Improving highway defect reporting